Hyatt Regency Sydney
161 Sussex Street
Sydney, NSW, 2000, Australia
- What is a nonlinear material model?
- What is the difference between ductile and brittle behavior?
- How can a structure have more strength after yielding?
- What is a moment, axial and shear plastic hinge?
- What is a sacrificial element?
- What is a hysteresis loop?
- What is a fiber model?
- What is a nonlinear event?
- What is stiffness and strength degradation?
- What is ductility and ductile limit?
- What do we mean by element state determination during an analysis?
- What is cyclic stiffness degradation?
- What is meant by an unloading event in a nonlinear analysis?
- What is Element State Determination?
- What is material and geometric nonlinearity?
- What is energy dissipation and why is it important?
- What is the difference between yield and ductility and why is yielding without ductility useless?
- Why is it important to recognize that yielding does not mean failure or collapse?
- What is the difference between redundancy and resilience?
- What is elastic work and plastic work and how is the difference important for seismic behavior?
- What is a time-energy diagram and why is it so important in seismic design?
- What is capacity design?
- Why is allowing destruction of parts of a structure during an earthquake considered good engineering?
- How can we train a structure to follow a predefined path of damage so that the critical components of the structure are spared and preserved?
- Why is a nonlinear time history analysis important even for a regular high rise structure?
- What is a sustained load and what is a cyclic load?
- What is a mechanism and how is it possible that a mechanism that will collapse under a sustained load may not collapse under a cyclic load?
- How is the FNA method used for nonlinear analysis if it is a mode-based superposition method considering the fact that any type of superposition is not possible in nonlinear analysis?
- What is ASCE 41?
- What is a performance measure and performance level and acceptance criteria?
- What is a demand/capacity measure and a demand/capacity ratio?
- Is a pushover analysis a static analysis or a dynamic analysis?
One of the best structural engineering seminars I have ever attended. It was great hearing about such a technical concept in a fun and entertaining manner. I even had a severe head cold and made it through the entire day!
You managed to keep a young father with zero sleep under his belt enthused and completely plugged in for the whole of the seminar. Thanks a ton.
The seminar was quite the highlight of events for the regional industry. Ashraf’s presentation was effective and engaging. I don’t remember any dull moments.
Excellent job of presenting theory and rational of the presentation topic. It was an enlightening experience.
Excellent presentation. A flavorful mix of technology and philosophy.
Great and entertaining presentation.
Great seminar, with the unique combination of educational and entertaining. Best food of any seminar I’ve been to in 13 years of practice! Thanks.
It was a great pleasure to hear you speak for the second time. Your devotion to the profession of Structural Engineering has not changed from the first time I heard you speak in 2000 in Houston.
Ashraf’s presentation clarified lots of concepts which are very difficult to understand and really I’m thankful for that.
I enjoyed every minute of the seminar, from the technical perspective to the personal reflections of Ashraf. Highly recommended.
Ashraf is truly the best speaker, who can attract the audience throughout the entire workshop.
Ashraf is a thoroughly entertaining speaker that brings simplicity to complex matters... truly enjoyed my day.
Excellent class, covered a lot of material for the amount of time allotted. Very fun method of presentation as well.
About Ashraf Habibullah, S.E.
Ashraf Habibullah, Registered Civil and Structural Engineer, is President and CEO of Computers and Structures, Inc. He founded CSI in 1975. Today, CSI is recognized globally as the pioneering leader in the development of software tools for structural and earthquake engineering. The software is used by thousands of engineering firms in over 160 countries. CSI products are also recognized as the standard tools for research and education worldwide and CSI has donated software to thousands of universities for teaching purposes. Through these donations, CSI has helped to ensure that the technology necessary to produce seismically-sound structures reaches everyone. Ashraf has led the development of CSI's products for nearly four decades and has been very active as a consultant, researcher and educator, conducting international courses and seminars on analytical techniques and numerical methods used in software for Structural and Earthquake Engineering.